I made this the night before Halloween. I bought a pumpkin so my best friend could carve his first pumpkin, and this is what happened to the fillings. All the big pumpkins were gone, but what I could salvage from this small culinary pumpkin I got from Waitrose made enough pumpkin puree for one pie, so if we weren’t carving it, I’m sure it would make tons more
Ingredients – UK sub
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix – used Bird’s custard powder – Angel’s delight might be better sub
1 3/4 cups cold low-fat milk, divided
8 ounces (1 package) – 227ish grams or 1 1/4 package – (1/3 fat) cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 1/4 cup pumpking puree
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups graham cracker Digestive biscuit crumbs (or buy a pre-made graham cracker crust)
3 Tbsp butter + 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC)
2. Combine 1 1/2 cup – a little bit more than half a packet – Digestive biscuit crumbs, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 3 tbsp melted butter + 3 tbsp melted coconut oil and mix until moistened
3. Transfer to a pie plate and press it on the bottom and sides as evenly as you can
4. Bake for 7 minutes and then set in the fridge on a towel to cool for at least 15 minutes
1. Prepare the pumpkin (cut, salvage, do your thang)
2. Place pumpkin in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil.
3. Cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Drain well and allow to cool.
4. Puree the flesh in a food processor/blender or mash with a potato masher.
Step 4. Bottom layer
1. Cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup milk
2. Mix until smooth and then spoon into the bottom of the pie crust and carefully smooth the top
3. Set back in fridge
Step 5. Pumpkin Spice Latte Filling (PSLF)
1. Rinse out mixing bowl. Add pudding mix and milk. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Set in the fridge for 5 minutes. – 1 3/4 Tbsp Bird’s custard powder, 1 3/4 Tbsp milk, mixed well. Rest of the milk in saucepan until boil. Put the mixed well custard powder thing into saucepan. Thicken. Wait to cool.
2. Remove pudding from fridge and add 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree and pie spice (1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger + for next time ground clove 1 tsp)
3. Whisk until well combined, put in fridge until colder, add the leftover cream cheese to it, and add to the top of the cream cheese layer. Smooth top with a spatula or spoon
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours. I twill take several hours to firm up so leave overnight if you can. Top with whipped cream or whipped topping and toasted coconut (optional – didn’t do) before serving.