THE Nut Roast
2 slices of bread (made into bread crumbs)
A few good handfuls of crushed mixed nuts (any type Tesco Organic Mixed Nuts 200g for £2.50 or Tesco Chopped Mixed Nuts 200g for £1)
1 chopped carrot
half of a courgette
(half) a can of baked beans (Asda mixed beans in tomato sauce)
2 tsp herbs (rosemary and thyme)
1 clove garlic
100g cheese (gruyere? brie? cheddar? mozzarella?)
1. cut up carrot in small bits and boil until soft (or grated)
2. while doing this make your bread crumbs, either by hand or a blender
3. chop up mushrooms and courgette into small bits (they will cook in the oven)
4. mix the chopped vegetables and carrots in a bowl, add mixed nuts, baked beans, mix well, also garlic and onion, cheese, herbs, parsley into mix
5. Grease tin and put mixture into loaf tin
6. Put into oven (~200˚C) for 40-50 minutes
mainly http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1852658/nut-roast and inspiration from http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/nut-spinach-roast-with-wild-mushroom-gravy want to try http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/nut-roast.html
Mushroom Gravy from redonline (link above)
2 tbsp olive oil
Knob of butter
1 banana (long) shallot, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
250g wild mushrooms
300ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp butter
Sea salt and pepper
1. Gently heat the oil and knob of butter in a medium pan, then add the diced shallot. Sweat for five minutes or until transparent. Add the garlic and sweat for wo minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook gently for a further five minutes.
3. Add the stock and soy sauce, then season to taste and simmer with the lid on the pan for 10 minutes.
4. Mix the tablespoon of flour into the tablespoon of butter and stir into the gravy to thicken it. Serve piping hot with the nut roast.